Monday, June 27, 2011

ENGL 104 Blog Entry 1

1. My name is Nancy Knowles, and I prefer to be called Nancy. I am really busy and don't have hobbies. I like to cook, read, walk my dogs, and play with my child and husband. I'm originally from Southern California and have lived in La Grande, Oregon since 2000.

2. I don't remember learning to read, so I must have learned before Kindergarten. My parents had lots of books and liked to read--popular fiction, art books, magazines, my dad liked books about cars. I read a lot of the classics before they were assigned in school. In high school, I had Mrs. Jackson, a passionate Scot ("Scottish not Scotch"), as my English teacher for three of my four years. She loved Laurence Olivier, so we read every Shakespeare play for which there was an Olivier film. I am very grateful to her for that exposure.

Now, I prefer to read fantasy and science fiction or at least novel-length works. I like to disappear into the story, and short stories and poetry don't allow me to do that, although I enjoy analyzing them.

3. I did the interviews when I taught this course in 2009. I'll see if I can pin down anyone to be interviewed again...

2 comments:

  1. I share your love for science fiction which includes mysteries for me. Short stories are a quick pick me up for a readers fix right? :)

    I wanted to let you know and see, that thanks to your help, I am now a blogger. Thank you!

    One more question, can you spell check blogs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Becky. I do think there are ways in which science fiction and mysteries overlap, particularly the focus on scientific explanations for events. I think there are some ways they differ. One of my friends says that mysteries always have to begin with a dead body, which isn't true of science fiction.

    I think you'd need to use Word to spell check your blog post, either pasting it into Word or typing in Word and pasting it into the blog. Nancy

    ReplyDelete