Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Blog 10: Song-Quote Response

Because my musical tastes got stuck in the 80s, I'm going to write about the lyrics of a Howard Jones song, "What Is Love?" Here is a verse from the song:

Can anybody love anyone so much that they will never fear
Never worry, never be sad?
The answer is they cannot love this much nobody can
This is why I don't mind you doubting

I really like Howard Jones for the philosophy in his songs. These lyrics don't have much poetry about them in that they don't employ the figurative quality of words. However, they do include the irony of love--that love must trust enough to assume there is no risk of loss and yet exist in the constant fear of loss. I like the confidence in these lines that the speaker at least believes in his own power to love so much that he can stand the doubts of his partner. I like also the realistic grasp of love, that love can't erase problems. It's nice to be assured of love despite whatever problems may arise.

No comments:

Post a Comment