Sunday, September 13, 2009

Summer Reading


I've read a number of good books this summer. One I really liked was Deerskin by Robin McKinley. I also reread Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. In honor of Oregon 150, I also read Craig Lesley's Winterkill and Molly Gloss's Jump-Off Creek, both of which are set in Eastern Oregon. I really enjoyed recognizing places, particularly downtown La Grande in the early 20th century.

Now, I'm reading a book by Robert Jordan called The Eye of the World. I've never read anything by Jordan before, but I've heard good things about his writing. It seems pretty traditional sword-and-sorcery fantasy so far. I tend to read more women fantasy writers than men because I get tired of the traditional women's roles in fantasy, but I'm enjoying Jordan's story and characters so far. It's a very thick book with plenty of description, so maybe I won't finish it for a few months, especially if I'm reading for classes, too. Here is a link to information about the book on Jordan's blog: I also pulled the book cover image from this site.

6 comments:

  1. The URL for Jordan's blog didn't appear above, so I'll try again: http://www.dragonmount.com/Books/Eye_of_the_World/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned today that Robert Jordan passed away recently. Very sad! I also forgot to mention another great book I read this summer: Jeannette Walls's The Glass Castle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband is officially jealous! He thought that my assignment for this class was to read Robert Jordan books! My husband is a huge fan and has been waiting to see if they will still release the last book that Jordan was writing when he passed away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard he had a posthumous book coming out that was partly written by someone else. Since I just finished the first one, I probably won't be ready for the new release for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you enjoy the series as much as I did. He really does weave a complicated story. I only wish I had waited until the series was finished before I started. I read the "Eye of the World" when it was released in hard back and waited, sometimes for quite a while, for every other book there after. As you have probably surmised, I am still waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate that waiting when I am ready to gobble up the books!

    ReplyDelete